It’s slow going on the pillow shams. I’ve already broken a couple of needles and I’m pretty sure I woke the boy up from his nap because I was making so many frustrated noises. On the plus side, the portions I HAVE finished look fabulous.
Apologies for the fur everywhere in these pictures,
I’m not cleaning it up til I’m done. It’s EVERYWHERE.
I showed you how I put the piping together on Tuesday, so I thought I’d walk you through what I’m doing for the rest of the sham as well.
I wanted to be able to remove my shams for something a little less wintery looking in the summer, so I needed to put some way of getting the pillow in and out into the design. A zipper would have worked, but it seemed like having an envelope feature would work just as well, without my having to mess around with zippers. I started by cutting my back fabric into two sections. I serged and hemmed the edge of each side that would be along the opening.
To make sure everything fit together properly, I lay the two pieces on top of the pillow they will be going around with the fur underneath and pinned everything. I used the faux fur side in, to give myself a little wiggle room when the sham is turned right side out.
Once everything was pinned securely, I trimmed the edges, leaving myself about 5/8″ for seam allowance. Then, I unpinned the twill from the fur (keeping the two twill pieces pinned to each other) and sewed them together where they overlapped.
After the two pieces are sewn together, it’s time to pin all of your layers together to finish your sham. The piping gets sandwiched between the two pieces, which are, of course, placed right sides together. If you’ve done everything right up to this point, you should have approximately 5/8″ allowance for all 3 pieces.
To turn the corner with your piping, make sure to take a notch out of your “seam allowance”. Otherwise everything will bunch and pull and make you want to kill everyone. Promise.
The last part is where I’m stuck. Sewing it all together. I’m using my zipper foot to try and get as close to the edge of the piping as I can. Problem is, if you hit piping this big with a needle, it breaks it. So, like I said. I’m not done yet. I’ll share pictures as soon as they’re finished!