Something has shifted lately. I’m not sure what exactly caused the change, but for whatever reason, the Mr and I finally got to a point where it clicked that, hey, this is our house, we can do whatever we want with it. We aren’t going to have to repaint the walls back to rental-white or worry about a security deposit…we aren’t going anywhere.
…so lets have some fun, huh?
Our first project was putting up a canopy in our bedroom.
Before we lived in this house we had always had a four poster bed. We both loved the look of it, and were rather dismayed to find upon moving in that there was absolutely no way to get it up to our bedroom. Apparently in the 1920s when our house was built, they weren’t much worried about getting box springs any bigger than a twin upstairs. So, a platform bed became our best option, and while upgrading from the 4-poster’s full-size to a queen has definitely been the way to go, we both felt like our room was missing something.
I wish I could get slightly better/wider pictures of the end result, but unfortunately, anywhere further back, I wind up with walls in my way.
G loooooooves the new canopy. At least twice a week since we’ve put it up he has begged to be allowed to pull all the curtains shut and play in our “fort”. We both love it too. It has completely changed the feel of our bedroom. I wound up moving several pieces of furniture out to account for the visual space the canopy takes up, and the end result is fabulous. It feels airy and luxurious…and we’ve stopped smacking our knees on the corner of the bed that blended into the floor just a little too well.
To make the canopy, my Mr. drilled holes in our ceiling and affixed rings. They’re, uhm, rather more robust than we needed in the end, but our plans for the canopy changed several times during the process. We had originally planned on some sort of piping to fit through the eyes, but realized that we already had a cable system we had bought for G’s bedroom (that didn’t work in there) which would present far fewer logistical problems and used that instead. A metal cable got threaded through (no worrying about how to turn the corners!) and I hung some Ikea curtains from it using small clips.
I was very pleased to find the curtains I did. I was fairly certain I was going to have to head to Haberman’s and, needing 16 yards of fabric, sell them (at least) one of my children to get something I didn’t hate. I did the math and to beat the price of these I’d have had to have found fabric that was less than $4 a yard or something ridiculous like that. Seeing as most of the stuff I like tends to be more like $20 a yard… I do need to do some sewing work to get these exactly where I want them. There are two curtains on each “post” at the foot of the bed and I want to french seam them together so there’s not a weird opening at the corner. I also want to remove the tabs at the top (since I’m not using them) and hem the whole thing to a better length. Not a high priority though, so it’ll probably wait for a good long time before I get to it. We also have to redo lighting in the room to make it less awkward in relation to the new curtains…but that will probably be an even longer time.
Our second project is rather more eccentric.
If you follow me on Facebook you already know I’ve been doing aerial for the last few months.
It’s incredibly fun, and a crazy hard workout, and I’m a little addicted. I dragged the Mr. to a conditioning class back in November, and he got hooked too and has been doing trapeze classes.
I had joked with the Mr. after I’d started that I was going to make him set up a climbing gym for me at home, and after he got into it himself…well…he started thinking about it seriously. Now, we’re not completely insane, so it’s not like we’re going to be practicing tricks like I’m doing in the pictures above at home, but a big part of hitting a wall and not being able to learn new tricks at the gym is that my hands and arms just get so fatigued I can’t hold myself up on the silks by the end of my class. Enter this: