Altered Maternity Tops

I haven’t been doing a whole heck of a lot of sewing lately.  The boys have been crazy, I’ve been sick, we’ve been trying to institute some new, better habits when it comes to keeping the house clean and frankly, with the winter refusing to end, I haven’t wanted to do much but hide under a thick blanket and glare at the sky.

That being said, I have done some alterations to clothes…but I haven’t posted about them, because, to be honest, I really haven’t wanted to take pictures of myself.  It’s overcast, so the lighting for pictures has been awful… also because it’s overcast, I’m grumpy…it’s cold, so I’m generally wrapped in at least 7 layers of clothing, which looks, and feels, extraordinarily frumpy.  My hair is a wreck because of all of the new growth making a poof ball of fly-aways, and hormone changes and the weather have wreaked havoc with my skin.

Basically, I’m vain…and I feel like I look like crap lately, and haven’t wanted it documented.  Go go gadget-ego.  I won’t insult you guys by pretending these haven’t been photo edited.  I have 2 small children, allergies and the photoshop know-how to make the dark circles under my eyes disappear.  Of course I take advantage of it.

Anyways, SEWING!  You guys didn’t come here to hear me talk about how winter sucks and makes me want to crawl in a hole, right?  I finally got around to altering a few of the maternity tops I made when I was pregnant with R.  (You can click on the links below the pictures to see the pre-altered tops)

  With both of these tops, I simply slashed the side seams up to about an inch away from the armpits.  That left the front of the shirt about a foot longer than the back.  I picked the hem out of the back of the shirts, pinned the side seams to my current size and ran the seams through my serger.  Once the seams were attached, I snipped the front panel to match the length of the back.
  For the grey top I used my good ol’ double needle to hem it again.  For the blue top I got to use my new toy!  I’ve desperately wanted a cover stitch machine for years now.  I actually thought that my serger was going to do what cover stitch machines do when I bought it.  I love my serger, but it just can’t handle everything I needed it to.  My Mr. decided that this Christmas was time for me to finally get one.  …except we didn’t get around to, you know, ordering it, until March.  Whoops.  I’ll (eventually) write up some information about the machine, but for now, just know that I used it to make a decorative line of stitching over the side seams on this top, and then hem the bottom.  Both of these tops are already back to being heavy in the rotation…because I like boring, neutrals.  I’m exciting like that.

This is a pretty straight-forward alteration, I know, but, as always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to comment or email!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s